Windows XP/2003/Vista/7/8/8.1 (32 and 64 bit)
NetworkActiv PortImport provides reverse remote port forwarding, also known as reverse port tunnelling. Flowing through a single TCP connection, multiple TCP and UDP port forwards can stream simultaneously and harmoniously with PortImport. Your client's machine can remain in the comfort of its firewalled environment while you access its ports on IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. Naturally the ports accessed need not be on the machine itself but can be on any node accessible from the machine.
Initiating the tunnel is simple. The remote component, known as PortImport Daemon, is a simple native executable able to run without installation. There is no need for third-party frameworks or libraries. In fact, a settings file can be included with the executable so that the package is preconfigured to connect to your Console component immediately when run -- no interaction is required by the remote user other than downloading the two files and running the executable. Hence, the remote user need not be tech savvy.
- Access ports on computers behind gateways, firewalls, and inconfigurable routers.
- Forward multiple ports simultaneously, whether TCP or UDP, IPv4 or IPv6.
- Intelligent, fault-tolerant session management and port forwarding.
- Easy-to-use back-end daemon can be scripted for extra portability.
- Back-end daemon supports logging of session and connection events.
- Needs only a single TCP connection from Daemon to Console.
- Both components can hide in the system-tray.
- Both components can be run without installation.
- Real-time on-screen data statistics on administration console.
- Real-time on-screen session and connection event log on back-end daemon.
- Static-built for native compatibility. No special frameworks or libraries needed.
- Automatic relative path technology ensures portability.
- Both components can be installed as Windows services.
- Full Unicode support.
- Version 2.0 was fully developed and tested on Windows 8.1.
The NetworkActiv Advantage
- Unique: Unlike standard tunnels, PortImport performs reverse tunnelling, so the back-end can remain protected in its internal LAN.
- Reliable: Unlike the dime-a-dozen herd, PortImport provides fault-tolerance to keep your tunnels active in times of change.
- Fast: Unlike programs written in Java and .NET, PortImport is compiled in native Windows API, supporting fluid network flow.
Although the back-end daemon is freeware, the administration console is trialware. At the time of this writing, the trial version is limited in that it cannot be installed as a service during installation and that there is a periodic nag screen that slows the forwarding until the screen is closed. Note that these limitations may change at any time without notice.
Aside from the language options built into PortImport and available through the language choice dialog (through the Settings->Language menu option), the following language string files are available for download. These are used through the bottom option on the language choice dialog just referred to. To download, right-click the download link and choose your browser's Save as... option.
- None yet since latest release. Language strings are added to new versions upon release.
An administrative user account is required for installation or running as a service, but running without installation should not require one.
Basic forwarding in IPv4, with TCP and UDP, was found functional on Linux (using Wine).
On Windows XP, Microsoft TCP/IP version 6 must be installed for direct IPv6 support in PortImport. Note that only the side of PortImport involved directly in the IPv6 traffic needs the protocol to be installed on the system.
25 MB of available disk space (for download, extraction, and installation).
10-50 MB of available RAM (depending on configuration).
Full line of available versions
Version update history
New features and changes in version 2.0.6:
- Resolved an installation glitch that occurred on certain 32-bit systems.
New features and changes in version 2.0.5:
- The Console can now request from the Daemon a list of currently active ports on the system.
- The windows for Chat, Resolve, and Ports List are now resizable.
New features and changes in version 2.0.3:
- The font size for the user interface can now be adjusted.
- A new option has been added to enable the console to remotely terminate the daemon process.
- Per-port-forward statistics are now retained when a daemon merely reconnects after having been disconnected.
- One or more glitches have been resolved.
New features and changes in version 2.0:
- User Account Control (UAC) compatibility for proper support of Windows Vista and higher.
- Changes to the appearance and function of buttons and dialogs.
- Polish translation added.
- German translation created.
- Improved compatibility for running on Wine (in Linux).
- Higher resolution program icon.
- Improved handling for running as a Windows service.
- Improved handling for system shutdown.
- Support for IPv6, including automatic handling of scoped addresses.
- Support for UDP port forwards.
- Option for local interface address re-use.
- Real-time on-screen session activity log for Daemon.
- Daemon can now save the session activity log.
- Extended status information, global and per-PFO, for Console.
- Further fault-tolerance options in Daemon.
- Bilateral support for a greater number of local interfaces.
- Adapter name display for easier identification of local interfaces.
- Basic chat system for Console-Daemon communication through session pipe.
- Remote-resolve system for resolving addresses on opposite end of tunnel.
- Option to limit maximum concurrent sessions for a given PFO.
- Local-interface monitoring system in Console for fault-tolerant binding.
- Session monitoring option in Console for improved fault-tolerance.
- Several glitches and bugs removed while improving all-around reliability.
- Automatic relative path technology for true portability.
- Many various other changes and improvements.
- NetworkActiv-PortImport-v2.0.7z (v2.0.6):
- NetworkActiv-PortImport-v2.0.exe (v2.0.6):
- NetworkActiv-PortImport-v2.0.zip (v2.0.6):
- PortImport-Console-v2.0-Win32.exe (v2.0.6):
- PortImport-Console-v2.0-x64.exe (v2.0.6):
- PortImport-Daemon-v2.0-Win32.exe (v2.0.6):
- PortImport-Daemon-v2.0-x64.exe (v2.0.6):
- NetworkActiv-PortImport-v2.0.7z (v2.0.5):
- NetworkActiv-PortImport-v2.0.exe (v2.0.5):
- NetworkActiv-PortImport-v2.0.zip (v2.0.5):
- PortImport-Console-v2.0.5-Win32.exe (v2.0.5):
- PortImport-Console-v2.0.5-x64.exe (v2.0.5):
- PortImport-Daemon-v2.0.5-Win32.exe (v2.0.5):
- PortImport-Daemon-v2.0.5-x64.exe (v2.0.5):